The best tips for growing your orchids
Undoubtedly, orchids are one of the most popular plants in any garden, this is due to the incomparable beauty of their flowers. But to get your orchids to produce those flowers, you must take into account several aspects in their care such as the substrate, temperature, ventilation, irrigation, fertilization and more. We will see each of these points in detail so that you know how to correctly grow your orchids.
Since it is very common for these plants to be grown indoors, lighting conditions may not be ideal for good flowering. For this reason, in the last section we will look at how you can grow orchids using commercial LED grow lights.
Table of Contents
1. How to grow orchids
The best pots for growing orchids are those that allow adequate drainage and have a high moisture retention capacity. In addition, orchid pots should also be of a suitable size for the roots of the plant and should be resistant to breaking and warping.
Some of the types of pots that can be used to grow orchids are:
- Ceramic pots: Ceramic pots are a very popular choice for growing orchids due to their aesthetics and durability. Ceramic pots allow for proper drainage and have a high moisture-holding capacity, making them an ideal choice for growing orchids.
- Plastic pots: Plastic pots are an inexpensive and lightweight option for growing orchids. Plastic pots have a high moisture-holding capacity and allow for proper drainage, making them a suitable option for growing orchids.
- Wooden pots: Wooden pots are a natural and elegant option for growing orchids. Wooden pots allow for proper drainage and have a high moisture-holding capacity, making them an ideal choice for growing orchids. However, it is important to note that wooden planters can deteriorate over time if not properly maintained.
The best soil for orchids is one that allows adequate drainage and has a high moisture retention capacity. In addition, the soil for orchids must also have an adequate pH and a good amount of nutrients for the correct development of the plants.
One of the most suitable soils for growing orchids is bark or pine bark soil. Pine bark is a natural soil that is obtained from the decomposition of the bark of pine trees and is used in the cultivation of orchids due to its high moisture retention capacity and good drainage. In addition, the bark soil also contains a good amount of nutrients for the proper development of plants.
Another suitable soil for growing orchids is peat soil. Peat is a natural soil that is obtained from the decomposition of organic matter and is used in the cultivation of orchids due to its high moisture retention capacity and good drainage. In addition, peat soil also contains a good amount of nutrients for the proper development of plants.
To correctly water an orchid, it is important to take into account the following recommendations:
- Use good quality water: The water used to irrigate the orchids must be of good quality and free of chlorine and other chemical products that can harm the plant.
- Water sparingly: Orchids don’t need a lot of water, so it’s important to water sparingly to avoid waterlogging and prevent root rot.
- Watering in the morning: It is advisable to water the orchids in the morning to prevent the water from evaporating in the heat of the day and so that the plant has time to absorb the water before night.
- Avoid watering the foliage: It is important to avoid watering the foliage of orchids to avoid diseases and allow the plant to transpire properly.
- Check the substrate: Before watering, it is important to check the state of the substrate and only water if the substrate is dry and needs water.
In general, it is important to note that each species of orchid has its own water needs, so it is important to research the needs of the particular plant in order to water properly.
If you are reading this post, you will probably be interested in learning about fertilizing these other plants.
1.4 Temperature and ventilation
The ideal temperature and ventilation conditions for growing orchids vary depending on the orchid species and its natural origin. In general, orchids are tropical plants and need a warm temperature and good ventilation to grow and develop optimally.
Orchids need a warm temperature that ranges between 18 and 30 degrees Celsius during the day and does not drop below 15 degrees Celsius at night. It is important to note that some orchid species can withstand higher or lower temperatures, so it is important to research the needs of the particular plant.
Regarding ventilation, orchids need good air circulation to sweat properly and avoid diseases. It is important to note that orchids should not be exposed to hot or cold drafts, as this can damage the plant. Therefore, it is important to place the orchids in a place that is well ventilated but protected from drafts.
To fertilize an orchid, it is important to follow the following recommendations:
- Use a specific fertilizer for orchids: It is important to use a specific fertilizer for orchids that contains the nutrients that the plant needs to grow and develop optimally.
- Fertilize in small doses: Orchids do not need a large amount of fertilizer, so it is important to fertilize in small doses so as not to damage the plant.
- Fertilize at the right time: It is important to fertilize orchids at the right time, that is, when the plant is in full growth. In general, it is recommended to fertilize orchids every two weeks during the spring and summer and every month during the fall and winter.
- Mix the fertilizer with the irrigation water: To apply the fertilizer it is important to mix it with the irrigation water and water the plant with this mixture.
In general, it is important to note that each species of orchid has its own fertilization needs, so it is important to research the needs of the particular plant in order to fertilize properly.
2. Orchid cultivation with artificial light
Artificial light orchid growing is a technique used to grow orchids under controlled conditions. This technique is based on the use of commercial grow lights for plants to provide plants with the light they need to grow and develop optimally.
LED lights are a type of artificial light used in orchid cultivation due to their high efficiency and ability to emit high-quality light. LED lights are characterized by providing high intensity light and spectral light that adapts to the needs of plants.
When growing orchids under artificial light, it is important to note that LED lights should be placed at a suitable distance from the plants to avoid burning them. In addition, it is also important to keep in mind that LED lights must be used properly, that is, they must be turned on and off at the time that suits the needs of the plants.
One of the main benefits of growing orchids with artificial light is that it allows you to obtain high-quality plants that grow faster than traditional crops. In addition, the use of led lights also saves energy and reduces environmental impact. For all these reasons, growing orchids in artificial light is becoming an increasingly popular option among orchid growers.